HISTORY

1909
Karl Juchheim was employed at a pastry shop in Hohenzollern Street, Tsingtao, in 1908. The following year, he took over this store and started his own business.
1913
He opened a pastry and coffee shop named “Juchheim” at 14 Prinz Heinrich Street, Tsingtao.
1915
As a prisoner of war of the First World War, Karl Juchheim was taken to Japan where he was forced to spend five years at an internment camp.
1915
He baked and sold baumkuchen at the Hiroshima Prefectural Commercial Exhibition held from March 4th to 12th.
1921
The German couple Karl and Elise Juchheim decided to settle permanently in Japan and established a company in Yokohama. The following March, they opened their first pastry shop in Japan.
1923
On September 1st, the Great Kanto Earthquake struck and their shop was devastated. Fleeing on an evacuation ship, they moved to Kobe. The couple jointly established “Juchheim’s” close to the former Ikuta Police Station which stood directly in front of the exotic foreign settlement of Motomachi.
1945
The day before the end of the Second World War, Karl Juchheim passed away on Mt. Rokko.
1947
Elise Juchheim and her family were deported to Germany at the order of the Coalition Army.
1950
Juchheim was reopened by its former employees.
Juchheim was reorganized into a stock company, and a pastry shop was established to the west of Ikuta Shrine.
1953
The Juchheim company invited Elise Juchheim back to Japan.
1963
The company name was changed from “Juchheim Shoten Co., Ltd.” to “Juchheim Co., Ltd.”
1965
Juchheim’s main store opened near Ikuta Shrine.
1966
A directly-managed store opened inside the Chunichi Building in Nagoya. In May, the Central Factory was constructed in the city of Anjo, Aichi Prefecture.
1967
As members of the first group of Japanese students studying overseas as part of Japan’s program promoting studies abroad, three Juchheim employees traveled to Germany.
1970
The Nagoya Factory was newly established.
1971
On May 2nd, Juchheim’s founder Elise Juchheim passed away at the age of eighty at the foot of Mt. Rokko.
Sapporo Juchheim Co., Ltd. was established in Sapporo, the gateway to northern Japan.
1972
Juchheim’s sales network reached 300 stores nationwide. Fukuoka Juchheim Co., Ltd. was established in Kyushu’s major city, Fukuoka.
1974
Hiroshima Juchheim Co., Ltd. was established in Hiroshima, a major urban area of the Chugoku and Shikoku Districts.
1976
A German outlet opened in the Goethehaus in Frankfurt, Germany.
The directly-managed Kyoto store opened in Shijokawara-machi, Kyoto.
1979
Rosenheim, a brand specializing in Viennese cakes and sweets, opened in Akasaka, Tokyo.
1983
As a sponsor of Tokyo Disneyland, Juchheim opened “Pastry Palace”, a souvenir shop specializing in confectionery, in the Disney resort in April.
In October, Juchheim signed licensing agreements with Peltier, a high-class patisserie in Paris.
1984
In October, the first Peltier store opened along Omotesando, in the Harajuku quarter, Tokyo.
1987
The Headquarters (Headquarters and Kobe Factory) were relocated to the newly constructed buildings on Port Island, Kobe.
1988
The Sendagaya store (Tokyo) opened in September, and the new main store opened in Kobe Motomachi in November.
1992
The Shiga Factory was newly constructed in the Biwa-machi Industrial Park on the banks of Lake Biwa.
1993
Upon expiry of the contract in Germany, the Goethehaus outlet closed in March.
The “Swiss Family Tree House”, an attraction provided by Juchheim, opened in Tokyo Disneyland in July.
1995
The Great Hanshin-Awaji (Kobe) Earthquake struck on January 17th.
The Hiroshima Factory was newly constructed in August, and the Sapporo Factory was also completed in December.
1999
Juchheim opened the pastry shop “Hexenhaus” in the theme park Huis Ten Bosch.
2000
In October, the Central Factory obtained ISO 9002 certification.
In the same month, Juchheim opened the “Baumkuchen House” in the theme park Kurashiki Tivoli Park.
2001
In September, Juchheim became the official sponsor of the “Venetian Gondolas” at Tokyo Disney Sea.
2002
In September, “Juchheim Die Meister”, the flagship shop based on the newly created German CI of Juchheim, opened inside the Marunouchi Building in front of Tokyo Station.
2003
In October, the first Karl Juchheim store opened inside Takashimaya Tamagawa Department Store.
In the same month, the Peltier store in Omotesando reopened after refurbishment.
2004
In April, Juchheim signed a contract with Fortnum & Mason, a prestigious company and purveyor to the British Royal Family, and acquired exclusive rights to set up Fortnum & Mason Concept Shops (FMCS) in Japan.
In October, the first Fortnum and Mason Concept Shop (FMCS) opened in the Annex of Nihonbashi Main Store of Mitsukoshi Department Store in Tokyo.
2005
In March, the Bobby Juchheim store opened inside “ecute Omiya” at Omiya Station.
In the same month, the second FMCS opened in Nagoya Lachic, followed by the opening of the third FMCS in Daimaru Kyoto Department Store in October.
2007
In June, the first Meister Juchheim store opened inside Isetan Shinjuku Department Store.
2008
In February, Juchheim’s directly-managed store inside the Chunichi Building in Nagoya reopened after refurbishment.
2009
To celebrate the 100th anniversary since its foundation, Juchheim organized a study tour for its employees to Qingdao (Tsingtao), China, where the company was founded.
In October, the logo was renewed as part of various events and activities celebrating Juchheim’s 100th anniversary.
2010
March 4th was designated as “Baumkuchen Day” (registered at the Japan Anniversary Association).